When I Got Bungeed in Rishikesh!

I am an adventure loving person. It's not that I am a very daring but yes that adrenaline rush due to fear does push me forward. So when my husband shifted to Singapore in 2016 and I was also supposed to do so in a month or so, I decided that this is the time I should finally do Bungee jumping (I was planning from a year).
So I started my research work for Bungee Jumping at Rishikesh by a team called Jumping Heights. You can book with any tour and travel company at Rishikesh but ultimately they will lead you to  Jumping Heights. The height of the jump is 83metres (highest in India). This activity is operated by a team form New Zealand. Off course it was a good and trustworthy start. Thus I finally selected the first weekend of chilling December 2016 and left for Rishikesh with my mother in law.


How to reach Jumping Heights?

Delhi to Rishikesh distance is nearly 230km, so if you have your own car you can take that option. Otherwise many luxury buses also leave from Delhi. For flight option you have to go to Dehradoon first and then to Rishikesh by road. I opted for the train. There are many trains connecting Delhi to Haridwar. From Haridwar, Rishikesh is approximately half hour journey. You can take taxi or go for local transport which will charge you INR 15 to 20 (cheap, right?)

Jumping heights office is on the second floor of a double story building at Tapowan (Rishikesh). If you have your car then you can go to the jumping site directly which is Mohanchatti, 25kms from Rishikesh on Rishikesh-Neelkanth road. Or else Jumping Heights have there own shuttle service for which you have to pay. But they have fix timings for this service.


What to Expect?

The main site of jump is located on a hill top. The road to the destination is surrounded by lush green trees, like you are traversing through the jungle. On reaching there second office they will show you an informative video about the activity and various dos and don'ts. Afterwards you have to fill a form mentioning risk and contraindications. Just fill the form and deposit the fee. They will also check your weigh and will write the reading on your hand.
Once these formalities are done you will walk to the jump site and safety preparations will be done like telling about the safety procedures, double harnessing etc. Jumping site is a platform built over a cliff which overlooks a gorge. Mighty Ganga river flows through this gorge.
Jump will be maximum one minute experience after which you will be taken down on the ground by the people waiting there. After removing harness they will give you a bottle of water and a badge saying "I've Got Guts" and that will feel so true. Then you have to trek up the hill to go back to the office, where you can see the video recording of your jump and if you wish to, then you can buy it too. They will also provide you with a certificate declaring that you have done Bungee Jump from the height of 83 meters.


The Experience...

The height of 83 meters doesn't sound as high until you are standing on the platform and ready to jump. Although safety measures are really nice there but our mind is programmed in such a way that fear converts the positive talks to negative too. For example instructor there told me that we will double harness you - one from feet and one from waist, for the reason if one loosens or fails. Rather then seeking comfort in having second harness I was thinking what if second also fails. Yes...I was very scared, in fact I told them to keep  the money and I don't want to jump. But the instructor was very nice and motivating. He gave me good 4-5 minutes motivational speech and told me "you will remember this as a
lifetime experience." And indeed it was.


What I took away from the jump?

One important thing about the jump is that, they don't push you, you have to jump yourself. I don't know the reason but for me it was a leap of faith. Standing at 83 meters height, seeing river flowing down and my brain telling me not to do anything stupid like this, I took that one step. I shouted at my best when I fell down afterwards it was complete silence I can hear my heart beating and telling me I am so alive.



How much is the payment?


Following is the breakup of all the money you may need to pay. Charges are mentioned for one person.

Entry Ticket                                                                              INR 100
Shuttle from Rishikesh to Jumping site                                    INR 300
Bungee Jump                                                                            INR 3500
Video CD                                                                                  INR 700

They update the charges from time to time. For more details you can check there website http://www.jumpingheights.com/

What else can I do?

Other then bungee jumping, jumping heights also offers flying fox and giant swing. You can try them also. They offer discounts on combo activities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mussorie - Place Above Clouds

Ladakh Continued...

A night out at Changi Airport-Singapore